Monday, July 2, 2012

During a little walking tour of Whistler, Canada...isn't he cute?

She said: 

It is summer vacation 2012- or at least Part 1.  Travis and I left on Saturday for a little rest and relaxation in beautiful Whistler, Canada.  Saturday night we stayed in Mt. Vernon, WA and took a tour through La Conner.  La Conner is such a cute little town with lots of local shops and dining.  I'm glad we were able to pass through, and I look forward to heading back there sometime.   Mt. Vernon is pretty close and offered a bit more reasonable accomodations.  We stayed at the Best Western and were given access to the neighboring health club for the day.  We were able to get our workout on :)  For me, this basically just means making more room for my impending splurge on dinner.  I did not disappoint.  We drove around looking for a local place to eat in Mt. Vernon, but ended up succuming to the allure of Olive Garden, where I fully replaced the calories lost earlier in the day. 

On Sunday we headed toward Cananda.  Now I'm not projecting difficulty here, but you all need to know that I come into Canada with a little reservation...you see, for those of you who know me well, I have had a few last names in my lifetime.  I, currently, am legally named Lisa McDonald.   However, my passport, which I got many years ago, has my first married name- Lisa Calcagno.  Last week Travis mentioned that we may need to look into what to do about this.  I did a little research and waited an endless amount of time to find out that, yes, your passport is required to reflect your legal name if you have been married over 1 year.  Well, happily celebrating year 3 next week, this put me in a little pickle.  I did all the right things...called, made the appointment in Seattle to expedite getting a new passport..and then I really thought about it.  Seriously?  I was going to drive to Seattle on Wed. turn around and come home since I needed to be home Friday and head up North again Sat.  There was only one answer to that- no.  So, I know you are all wondering...did I make it in?  I did. I am in Canada, but from what research tells me, it's the getting out that could cause some trouble.  I'm going to try playing it cool and saying nothing, hoping they won't ask for a second ID.  But just in case, I am fully equipped with all paperwork starting at my birth.  I will make sure and let you know how that goes.  If I need an outcry of "Release Lisa Simpson, Calcagno, McDonald" You've got my back, right?          

Ok, so we are in Canada and Whistler has not disappointed.  We are staying in a great studio that has a kitchenette.  This is part of our VI membership- a story for another time.  But alas, we are in the heart of town and already having a great time.  Apparently, yesterday was Canada Day, which comes with lots of loud fireworks and drinking.  Just as we were ready to head back out to the loud booms and festivities at 10:30 pm, it got quiet and people started retreating to their respective hotels, apparently, in Canada, they speed party.  That's alright, I was a little tired and was kind of happy to call it a night. 

This morning I am headed to a massage at the Westin...Ah, this is the life!  
 Here is a shot of Travis hanging out in our studio :)






No comments:

Post a Comment